Jacu’s favorite places in Amsterdam
Jacu Strauss is the one responsible for the design of Pulitzer Amsterdam and other iconic hotels such as the Sea Containers London and recently opened Riggs Washington DC.
Jacu lived in Amsterdam for four years and completely immersed himself in the city; the place he now calls his second home. Use his inspiration and challenge your inner interior designer. Dream now, discover later.
“I want to share my favorite places with you – where I shop, wander around and gather inspiration as a designer.”
Interior & inspiration
1. Anouk Beerents – Since 1987, Anouk Beerents has specialized in the import and export of antique mirrors. Most of the authentic quality mirrors have a French or Italian origin with gilded gold or silver leaves. The amazing studio of Anouk Beerents is a real hidden gem in the nine streets.
“It’s one of my favorite places in the world. We have a few of her mirrors in Pulitzer’s Bar, lobby, -and Collector’s Suites among others.” – Prinsengracht 467, anoukbeerents.nl
2. MENDO – MENDO is a candy store for book lovers. They specialize in the specific categories of fashion, photography, interior, traveling, food and graphic design.
“A stunning bookshop. It’s just done really well and they have an amazing collection of books. You can’t help but spend some time in there.”- Berenstraat 11, mendo.nl
3. Bij Ons Vintage – A large collection of original vintages for men and women with new arrivals every day. Check out their Facebook page to stay on top of the special offers every week.
“One of the things I love most about Amsterdam is it has really amazing vintage shops.”- Reestraat 13, bijons-vintage.nl
4. PRJCT AMS – A multi-brand store for men, selling an ongoing mixture of casual chic clothing and garments, with a strong focus on ‘the perfect basic’. Innovative brands and upcoming designers who value quality, can be bought at PRJCT AMS.
“A small nicely designed store with a good collection of clothing that’s clean and simple.” – Gasthuismolensteeg 18, prjctams.com
The finishing touches
5. Marie Stella Maris – A beautiful shop offering luxurious, natural care products and a fine selection of home fragrances for a unique experience at home. The Amsterdam-based lifestyle brand donates a fixed amount towards clean drinking projects for each product you purchase.
“The store is great, the toiletries are dazzling, and the packaging is absolutely brilliant.” – Keizersgracht 357, marie-stella-maris.com
6. Le Labo at Skins Cosmetics – In every bathroom of Pulitzer Amsterdam, you will find a selection of Le Labo Fragrances. From a solid soap kit, to a body lotion, to a conditioner, Le Labo will pleasantly surprise you.
“This is a brand that I’ve always loved and I was thrilled that we were able to offer it in the hotel. One of my favorite perfumes is actually a Le Labo one.” – Runstraat 11, skins.nl
(Image by: Emily Andrews)